Monday, May 18, 2009

The Moultrie Family Flag

Nathan has been talking about the "Joy of Family Security, Identity and Pride" in Joy School these last couple of weeks. As part of the unit it suggests that each family create a "family flag" so that is what we did for Family Home Evening tonight. First we talked about why families are important and then we talked about what to put on our flag as we were eating dinner. We took turns talking about things that are important to our family as well as things we like to do together. After dinner we found pictures of everything and then the kids got busy cutting, taping and writing on our flag. They did most of the work on the flag and when they were done they carried it around while they were singing "It's a Grand Old Flag"!

So without further ado, I would like to present to you the Moultrie Family Flag!!
We started with our family picture centered in two rings that symbolize Bob and I as well as our unending love for each other and the eternal nature of our family. Then we found a picture of Christ because we want to have a Christ-centered home as well as a picture of the Bountiful Temple where Bob and I were married. Then we found a picture of Dart because he's part of the family too, a piggy bank because we are trying "to live life on a budget" as Maddie calls it. There's a trailer because we love to go camping together, pictures of our home full of love - most of the time anyway ;-)! There's a robot because of the Robot Game that the kids love to play with Bob, Friday night sleepover's in Mom & Dad's room, going out for ice cream and going to church together. Nathan wanted the flag to be red so that was his contribution. I'm glad we had some red paper since we did not put milk or bananas on it like he also wanted us to do...

I've been doing Joy School for three years now but this is the first time we've done this activity and I'm really glad we did. It made us stop and think about our family and brought a sense of unity and love to our home. Next week I think we will do another Joy School activity where we make a book with 12 pages and then we go through and list or draw our family traditions that we do each month. I love Joy School!

1 comment:

West Family said...

I don't think I knew that you did Joy school. I did it with Samantha when we lived in Virginia. I only did it with one other Mom, who happened to be an Eyre herself, I think a cousin of the authors. Anyway, we also made a family flag and it was one of my most favorite things we have done. It was so sweet to see the pride the kids had for their family. I hope I find someone who wants to do Joy School when Gabriella gets older. It was such a good experience with Samantha. You are an amazing Mother!